Hey baby, what you gonna do

Here’s a track not covered too often — Rat Bat Blue, performed by Dario Mollo and the Space-T.

Space-T are:

Andy Senis – Bass
Fabio Meggetto – Keys
Andrea Biancheri – Vocals
Alessio Benedetto – Drums
Dario Mollo – Guitar

Thanks to BraveWords for the heads up.

10 Comments to “Hey baby, what you gonna do”:

MacGregor says:

A gem is Rat Bat Blue & one of many wonderful songs from that superb album, WDWTWA.
    Jon Lord’s solo is classic Lord indeed on the album & the guitar riff, drums, vocal & bass make it one of Purple’s heaviest songs to my ears. Good to see a band cover a lesser known track, although this vocalist struggles to deliver in many ways. I am familiar with the guitarists name as he worked with Tony Martin post Sabbath. Cheers.

Andy says:

I always thought this song was one card short of a full deck. It’s a good song, but it could have been great. The band was facing alot of difficulties at the time. This is a really good cover and I liked the way the keyboardist and guitarist shared the solo. I think that was an improvement over the original version.

Dr. Bob says:

If I had to the power to add one song to a DP concert set list, it would be this one. What a fantastic riff. Space-T does it justice.

max says:

@ Dr. Bob: So would I. 🙂

Petr says:

I would love to hear Rat Bat Blue live, however… the riff is borrowed. 🙂

Petr says:

Rat Bat Blue riff comes from Bobby Parker´s Watch Your Step (probably most “borrowed” riff in rock history). And if you find that Bobby Parker riff, you will notice that actually Rat Bat Blue is grandkind of What´d I Say from Ray Charles. 🙂

MacGregor says:

@ 6 – indeed it is, I learn something new every day. Not surprised at all though with Blackmore & Page & others, they sure did ‘borrow’ ideas etc from previous musicians & certain songs. Thanks for the information. Cheers.

Boswell's Johnson says:

@5

Andy says:

I never knew they played this live, Deep Purple – Rat Bat Blue, Live, Reading, UK 1996

Uwe Hornung says:

That was a great tour, lots of fresh ideas.