The Deep Purple family jungle

Deep Purple Extended Family Poster; © Glenn Wellard, reproduced with permission

Glenn Wellard sent us his version of the Deep Purple Family Tree together with the following note:

Being a fan myself, and this year being the 50th year since Deep Purple were formed, I decided I wanted to do something to mark the occasion and produce something to hand on my own study wall. So, for the last few months I’ve been working on a super huge family tree of band member connections with other major UK bands. It contains 50 different bands within it (I thought that was a nice number to reach for a 50th anniversary!), with the core of it, of course, being Deep Purple members. I’ve called it the Deep Purple Extended Family (as they are considered to be one of the catalyst for a lot of the rock bands that came after them). I’ve now completed the project, and a print of it is hanging proudly on my study wall. However, I’ve decided it would be a shame to keep the poster to myself, so I am sending a high definition converted JPEG copy of it to various parties out there that might be interested to have a look at, comment on, display on websites, etc, on a permission basis, whilst retaining copyright over hard copy prints.

It’s been a complex and pretty frustrating project at times, which has taken a lot of effort to make it as accurate as possible. As the tree has got bigger, the options of branches that can be included get exponentially bigger (!) and so it becomes harder to decide what to include and leave out, as well as the connections between artists getting more complicated. So I have tried to include those branches and connections that seemed most relevant to me.

I have also listed the poster on eBay (it can be found by searching Deep Purple Poster) in case people want to buy a large high quality printed copy. So, the only thing I have done to it to protect myself on the copy I am sending out digitally, is to add a faint copyright watermark, which does not detract from being able to view the detail of it online. On eBay I’ve restricted sales to the UK, mainly because I’m not sure what the postal cost to send to the USA would be. But if there was interest from over the pond there, I’m sure I could figure this out!

Click on the image above to view a full size version (warning: it’s HUGE!)

24 Comments to “The Deep Purple family jungle”:

Byron says:

Splendid !
    PS:Bob Daisley/Lee Kerslake/Uriah Heep

Steve Clowes says:

Cool , but don’t understand why the Yardbirds and Led Zep are there ?

Keith Livingstone says:

There are smaller forests in the Amazon……😂

Keith Livingstone says:

Page/Coverdale?

Steve Clowes says:

Keith Livingstone No branch on the pic, but yes i guess so

Steve Feedback says:

Wow! Fantastic!
    Hell of a lot a work!
    But … where is the connection to Led Zeppelin / Yardbirds?

Κωνσταντίνος Νούσιας says:

many mistakes…especially on WS

Κωνσταντίνος Νούσιας says:

Cozy left WS in 1985 not 1984…Steve Vai joined in 1989 not 1987..Vivian Campbell was on 1987-88

Ranfa says:

GREAT JOB!!!

Mathias says:

Amazing!

Can’t find The Artwoods and Phenomena …

byron says:

Splendid!
    PS:Peter Goalby/Lee Kerslake/Bob Daisley =Uriah Heep

Blackwood Richmore says:

Oh, what a tangled web we weave… when first we plant the hard rock seed. Or something like that!.

Chris Clark says:

What do the parentheses mean? Example: Captain Beyond 1971 (1973) 1973?

Chris Clark says:

Also Cozy Powell played on one of Plant’s solo albums.

Paulo Glover says:

Thank you for posting this. It is in fact the family tree of almost everybody in rock history 🙂

Scott W. says:

Fantastic job!

Norm Hedley says:

Artic rooster?are they similar to atomic monkeys?

DeeperPurps says:

It is a huge job to put together such a project. Kudos to Mr. Glenn Weiland for this excellent tree / forest / jungle.

It may still be a work in progress as there are just so many connections between the various bands. As noted above, one additional link that needs to be made and puts Led Zeppelin into context here are the following:

Jimmy Page connected to David Coverdale re Coverdale/Page (1993

and

Led Zeppelin Mark II (2007) if there is such a thing with John’s son Jason Bonham connected to Glenn Hughes in Black Country Communion

And for a real interesting twist, Deep Purple can be linked to the BEATLES and others in the following ways:

Deep Purple Mark II (1984) played an encore on stage in Australia with George Harrison.

Ian Paice, and David Gilmour (guitarist PINK FLOYD) played with Paul McCartney on the Run Devil Run album 1999.

DeeperPurps says:

Once again, excellent work by Glenn Weiland to put together such a massive project. These org charts are not easy to construct, and are contant works-in-progress as there is always new info that surfaces which requires a reconfiguring to accomodate newly revealed links.

Also, additional links to the Yardbirds via Jeff Beck, as Cozy Powell played drums on a couple of the Jeff Beck Group albums in the early 70’s.

Another interesting connection is to Joe Satriani. He was guitarist for Purple in 1993/94. And he also recently released a studio album What Happens Next with Glenn Hughes on bass.

Thanks again Glenn Wellard.

Glenn Wellard says:

Hi, thanks for your comments, I’ll try and answer a few of them. Firstly a couple of catch all’s. Despite Paulo’s kind comment, there is so much rock music out there, it would be impossible to include everything, so sometimes something has to give (like Mathias and CC with his Cozy comment)! Secondly, the tree is very firmly Studio Album line-ups (mentioned in a few places) which can differ greatly to the line-ups that went out on the road. For me, this gave me a clear rule to follow when designing the tree.

Onto specifics, a couple mention the absence of Uriah Heep. Your right Byron, I could have included the two albums that PG/LK/BD did together, but I went with the TA/RS route through MARS into Whitesnake, as that was the closer connection to DP (obviously through DC). If I had added UH, they produced a lot of albums through a changing line-up themselves and so I would have wanted to include them all, and like I say where do you stop? Sometimes it’s a judgement call.

Another judgement call was to include LZ/Y. They don’t connect to much, I agree, but, I had the right sort of space in the right area (!) of the tree, and, DP/BS and LZ are often referred to as the ‘unholy trinity’ of the start of rock music, so with that as the tenuous connection, I got them in there.

Some of the logic in the poster, to determine the band line up for an album or time period, is complicated I confess, but it all works and is kind of a nice puzzle to work through in places. The use of the bracketed dates is to show when a line-up changed by use of a ‘repl by’ notation on the chart. The key tries to explain this.

To the guy, who’s name has letters that are not on my keypad (!), referring to WS errors. Again, I point out, the poster is based on studio album line-up’s. CP may have left the band early 85, but the album he was on was produced in 84. Similarly, I agree VC was with the band in 87/88 but did not appear on a studio album, this was SV and so to represent that he was the guy on the studio album produced in that period, I used the whole period for continuity. A bit of artistic licence perhaps!

Keith Livingston, not sure what you’re asking me mate?

Anyhow, thanks for your comments, I will look out for more!

Buttockss says:

@ 17……Atomic Butt Monkeys….LOL!!.

Jakob H. says:

This is incredible. Thank you so very much!

mike whiteley says:

A member of the “Jungle” just had a heart scare,yet no mention @ THS.
    Get well soon,Joe Lynn Turner.

Dirk says:

Yes, Joe Satriani did not appear on studio album.

But Mark 8 was with Joe Satriani – Gillan, Glover, Lord, Paice, Satriani.