Easter egg from Lars

Metallica has a new single out, and at one point Kirk Hammett directly quotes several bars of Blackmore’s solo from Speed King:

The track is called Screaming Suicide and is credited to James Hetfield, Lars Ulrich & Robert Trujillo. It is from Metallica’s upcoming new album 72 Seasons due out on April 14 (coincidence?), 2023.

Credit for the trainspotting goes to Tobias Janaschke.

13 Comments to “Easter egg from Lars”:

Dave says:

Kirk said he got the idea for Enter Sandman from the Smoke riff.

kraatzy says:

genius !!!!

LLRnR
    LL Ritchie Blackmore

Scott Mcnay says:

Brillant quote and it adds a level of fun that doesn’t exist in most Metallica stuff.

Uwe Hornung says:

I’m neither a Metallica fan nor a hater, I respect them though it’s not really my cup of tea. I buy their albums out of intellectual curiosity and applaud when they bravely do off the wall stuff like Lulu. I’ve heard them do far more grating stuff than this new track here and Kirk’s fanboy quote is cute. He’s always had more of an influence from 70ies guitar heroes than from 80ies shredders.

One thing that is really pleasant about Metallica is that they hardly ever sound like Led Zep. For a Yank heavy metal band that is a redeeming factor. Great thanks to the Little Dane for probably making DP adoration mandatory in his band instead!

Adel Faragalla says:

DP mark 2 is the origin of lots of heavy metal but still Ian Gillan hate to be labelled as heavy metal.
    Their 4 albums really covered everything and that’s why they are the greatest band ever created.
    Peace ✌️

Uwe Hornung says:

Heavy Metal is an offspring of 70ies Heavy and Hard Rock and that is an offspring of 50ies Rock’n’Roll, Blues Rock and gritty Brit Invasion Rhythm’n’Blues, no two ways about it. Don’t disown your children.

I first came across the term Heavy Metal in 1974 when Warner Bros put out a such-monikered 24-track double LP sampler:

which by today’s standards contained exactly one Heavy Metal song, namely Iron Man by that band which on its first two records essentially just slowed Cream’s music down and turned the volume up and less than ten would have even qualified as Heavy/Hard Rock at the time:

MC5 – Kick Out The Jams 2:49
    Faces – Cindy Incidentally 2:34
    The Doors – Touch Me 3:10
    The Allman Brothers Band – Ramblin’ Man 4:55
    Delaney & Bonnie – Only You And I Know 4:19
    Van Morrison – Domino 3:06
    Eagles Outlaw 3:25
    Yes – Starship Trooper (9:57)
    Golden Earring – Radar Love 5:02
    Grateful Dead – Johnny B. Goode 3:44
    Foghat – What A Shame 3:48
    Uriah Heep – Stealin’ 4:48
    War – Lonely Feelin’ 3:41
    Blues Image – Ride Captain Ride 3:43

That album pretty much shaped my fledgling musical tastes back then, I loved nearly every song on it. I thought the term Heavy Metal a cool one and didn’t and don’t obsess over the accuracy of the description. If someone says Deep Purple is “Heavy Metal”, I know what they mean with it. If you take as Heavy Metal’s definition “can play at Wacken and not get booed off the stage”, then both DP and Status Quo evidently qualify. But then the Stones could probably play Wacken as well and receive a warm reception as could have The Ramones, but could you imagine Coldplay or U2 being there? See, we’ve reached agreement, those two aren’t Heavy Metal at all!

; – )

Gregster says:

Yo,

Metallica are a strange band to me in many ways, & there’s no doubting their world-wide success with a string of No.1 albums across the globe, & their popularity is growing still to this day…

I warmed to them around 20-years ago, when they were played non-stop ( Master of Puppets ) on a Motor-cycle racing trip from Melbourne to Sydney return, & then in 2009 or so, I bought “Death Magnetic” when I saw it. It had a cool cover design I thought, but the music(?) inside, to-this-day, has never been played-out fully. What a waste of money, & I couldn’t even give the disc away.

They have their fans, but I choose not to listen to them anymore, or won’t even take the chance. They have a great name however, & the drumming on “Master of Puppets” was superb.- ( He has a very nice touch, reminiscent of Bill Ward ).

Peace !

Rock Voorne says:

Uwe

If my memory serves me right there s an interview, it might have been a Dutch one related to his succes with LOVE IS ALL, not sure….in which he uses the term heavymetal bassplayer.
    He said something alike ” not bad for a DANG DANG DANG heavy metal bassplayer.” 🙂

I think the term got percieved differently over time.

Uwe Hornung says:

RV, for the – somewhat murky – origins of the term “heavy metal” look no further than this comprehensive treatise by Professor Deena Weinstein, it’s the best and most thorough I’ve read on the topic and well worth your time:

William S. Burroughs (the author of Naked Lunch), Mars Bonfire (writer of Steppenwolf’s Born to be Wild and the phrase contained therein: “heavy metal thunder”), Lester Bangs (legendary rock journalist of Rolling Stone and Creem), Mike Saunders (another rock journo from Creem) and Sandy Pearlman (producer/co-songwriter/manager-Svengali of Blue Öyster Cult) all can take some credit.

I first heard the term in the mid-70ies and in the second part of the 70ies it gradually took the place as a description of music otherwise referred to as “hard rock” or “heavy rock”, which was a synonym for guitar-oriented music played in a muscular fashion with the aim of overwhelming the audience, Led Zeppelin, Grand Funk Railroad, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Rory Gallagher, Uriah Heep and Humble Pie, to name a few, were all deemed “hard rock” or “heavy rock”.

The first band I remember actually referring to themselves as “heavy metal” were Blue Öyster Cult in a 1975 CBS media release, I guess Sandy Pearlman simply liked the sound of the term, in reality BÖC were nowhere as heavy as, say, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple or even Status Quo in their 70ies prime. By the end of the 70ies and the advent of NWOBHM (New Wave of British Heavy Metal) it was well-established as a caption for music that only a few years earlier would have simply been referred to as “heavy rock”.

Come the 80ies, the term became a coat of arms, an insignia many bands and their fans wore proudly – just think of Manowar’s inane “Death to false metal!” slogan – whereas in the 70ies it had often had a derogatory connotation as a description of the music from people who did actually not like it.

I’m relaxed about even liberal use of the term. If someone calls DP a “heavy metal band” or me a “heavy metal fan” I don’t lose any sleep over it though to me the term is more apt in usage with bands (I also like) such as Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Queensryche. Bands as varied as Deep Purple, AC/DC, Kiss, Van Halen and even Motörhead all profess(ed) to be “not heavy metal”, yet if they held an open air concert together it is a safe bet to assume that 80-90% of the present audience would describe themselves as “heavy metal fans”.

And most certainly, true “dyed in the wool” heavy metal fans are not going to jeer if you out yourself as a DP or Rainbow fan, but will rather nod approvingly (to the extent their worn out cervical vertebrae still allows such movement, of course!) in recognition, DP is one of the egg yolks to their particular omelette after all.

Jet Auto Jerry says:

“Death to all but Metal” – Steel Panther

Gregster says:

@ 9, Wiiliam S. Burrows, & his book “The naked lunch” lol ! Steely Dan acquired their name from a steam-powered-phallic described in that same book, but I’ll let that history reveal itself to those who seek-it-out…

It has inspired many people it seems !

Peace !

MacGregor says:

Talking of ‘Eavy Metal as Neil from The Young Ones used to say. The metal clans have a very similar dress sense to the Village People ‘shake your butt’ clans in many ways, that scene anyway. Leather & studs, Denim & a few chains etc, strutting about, yes indeed there is something there it seems. Remember when Rob Halford ‘came out’ & the outrage was palpable. I know of one Priest ‘fan’ who was a classic Australian yobbo & he burnt all his JP records when that was announced. We did laugh. Anyway it is all good, well some of it. Cheers.

Dr. Bob says:

My musical tastes have Metallica, Megadeth, & Pantera almost on the level of Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, & Led Zeppelin. They are the natural progression of what talented musician can do growing from the roots of the heaviest side of the pioneers of classic hard rock.