Four hundred and thirty two

Our man in Brazil Marcelo ‘no relation’ Soares writes:

Brazilian talk show host Jô Soares died tonight, at 84. He did some fun interviews with Deep Purple in the 2003 and 2006 tours. He asked none of the questions we geeks would, but at the same time he put the boys at ease talking about soccer and their families. In the 2003 interview, he got Ian Gillan to talk about the three months of quality time he had with his daughter every year, Don Airey to explain the origins of the word “soccer” and Ian Paice to laugh a lot. He also had them playing two songs and none of them was Smoke on the Water.

Thanks to Marcelo Soares for the info, and to alyen06 for the video.

10 Comments to “Four hundred and thirty two”:

George Martin says:

I love this live performance of Haunted. I kind of wish they would do this live instead of When a blind man cries. Steve’s solo is so incredible. Where did the time go. Thanks Steve for all the years!

Tetragrammatony says:

IvoSAn says:

Awesome performances.

Rajaseudun Rampe says:

#2 Tetragrammatony says: “I’m Brazilian and Jo Soares was the worst talk show host in the history of Brazilian TV. Arrogant and leftist.”

Uh. So what does your message tell us? Nothing about the talk show host, only that you’re narrow-minded and rightist.

Adel faragalla says:

@2 and @4
    Some facts sometimes are not better not mentioned but the facts are real and not a fiction.
    For example when you have a partner with a smelly feet it’s a fact but you never mention it out of respect.
    Now let’s all not be negative and respect each others and focus on the positive side.
    I really enjoyed this clip and I think the host was good.
    Peace ✌️

Scoot says:

Great interview.
    It wasn’t the same four questions you always hear.

Tetragrammatony says:

Your comment only shows your complete ignorance about the history of brazilian tv, mr Rajaseundon.
    But, “The Truth Hurts”, isn’t it….

Rajaseudun Rampe says:

#7 I don’t know what you’re talking about. Truth does not hurt. I am not hurt. It was a great interview. Fun to listen to. We’re you hurt by it? Take it easy!

Uwe Hornung says:

I think this is one of the most entertaining and insightful Purple interviews ever! I’ve never heard of Jô Soares until now, but I like his style? Arrogant? You have to be as a good talkshow host, because you have too throw people off balance a bit and be witty plus quick on your feet.

Re leftist vs. rightist – I’m pretty sure most of you have read between the lines of my posts where my place is in the political spectrum. But dislike of political convictions should not lead you to discount a person’s abilities. I can’t stand Ted Nugent’s inane opinions on nearly everything, but I think he’s an awfully talented guitarist with a style all of his own (and, ironically, one of the white hard rock guitar heroes with the blackest, most Motown-infused groove around). Though I could often go for his throat politically, I still buy his records (the newest one is quite good btw). And I wouldn’t want to join Jack Blades (Night Ranger), Alice Cooper, Rick Springfield and Rick Medlocke (Lynyrd Skynyrd, Blackfoot) on Republican Conventions, but they are all part of my musical DNA.

So Mr Soares’ style might not be your cup of Quentão, Tetragrammatony (great moniker btw!), but was that type of character assassination of someone who has just left us really necessária/necessário? (Is ‘character assassination’ masculine or feminine in Portugese, Tetragrammatony?)

Ian Gillan had a leftist dad and an arch-conservative mum. If those two hadn’t gotten along at least some of the time, there would have been no Big Ian and – shudder the thought! – we’d be all Led Zeppelin fans today.

Uwe Hornung says:

I’ve now heard it in full and not just snippets of it, Marcelo, where may I kiss you to thank you for this jewel? And I don’t care whether your bedroom is plastered with Luciana Santos*** posters or not!

It’s memorable for quite a few things:

– The palpable camaraderie in the VIII line-up.

– How much younger they were back then, Ian even still danced while singing. He’s stopped that completely.

– Priceless: Big Ian’s “I play the fool …”-repartee to Jô’s question what instruments he played.

– You learn something new everyday: I didn’t know Big Ian’s hands couldn’t bang the anymore and that is why he stopped (I miss that).

– This was before Steve had to readjust his playing due to health reasons – he was at his peak back then, a joy to watch.

– A reminder of how well the Bananas material adapted to stage – I remember a gig on the Bananas tour where they played six or more tracks off that album, all sounded great, it was a wonderful night, really fresh.

***For the non-comrades among us: Current President of the Partido Comunista do Brasil (PCdoB) and I’m sure a glowing DP fan in her own right (or left!) …