The Springs Hotel closing down

Swimming pool at The Springs Hotel

The Oxford Mail reports that The Springs Hotel in North Stoke, Oxfordshire, (the one with the guitar shaped swimming pool) once owned by Ian Gillan is closing down. Current owners cite increasing costs of upkeep the 1874 “mock Tudor” building and increasing comissions from the internet booking agencies that cut into the bottom line.

The Springs HotelThe 32-room hotel will close in October, although a golf club located on site will continue to operate. Present owners have not decided yet what to do with the building.

Gillan bought the property in 1973 for £100,000 and then invested further £443,000 into renovating it and converting into a hotel. The fate of the enterprise is covered in his autobiography.

Thanks to BraveWords for the info.

10 Comments to “The Springs Hotel closing down”:

Silva de Olivera says:

Cool!

al says:

who cares ? I mean yeah ok ,Gillan used to own it,but I really don’t see anything related to the music here.business yes,but music ? yawn

MacGregor says:

One word springs to my mind……..HEDONISM! Those were the days & no doubt there are more elaborate setups in other locations on planet earth! Oh to have bucket loads of money to throw around! Cheers.

mitch says:

Hey MacGregor I’ve got a good idea.With tons of money I’d hire Wembley stadium and then get one person for each word in a monumental book,like the Bible and then at a given time get everybody to shout their word! How’s that for original?

Tracy(Zero the Hero)Heyder says:

Ian should buy it back and place in a Time Share organization such a Windham or RCI……

Buttockss says:

I believe they recorded “Perfect Strangers” there. The band had some cool pictures inside the album cover .

Svante Axbacke says:

PS was recorded in Stowe, Vermont in the USA.

Tim Mitchell says:

Man COOL POOL,its a shame whats happen

Steve Spooner says:

Shame it’s closing, I got married there. I seem to recall there were two wedding options, the Standard Package or the Gillan Package. Thought it best to opt for the Standard, as didn’t want my wife spending her wedding night on the Gillan Package… ;-)

Tracy(Zero the Hero)Heyder says:

Steve Spooner @9;

Good point. Rumor has it he is packin’ a monster….