Essener Pop und Blues revisited

Longer clips from the Internationales Essener Pop und Blues Festival in October 1969 have surfaced on YouTube. We posted the first instalment before, but those are no longer available. The new clips have about 10 minutes of Mandrake Root and 7 minutes of Wring That Neck with better sound.

YouTube Preview Image
YouTube Preview Image

Thanks to Igor Gillan-fan for posting these and to Joerg and Scott W. for bringing them to your attention.

8 Comments to “Essener Pop und Blues revisited”:

Larry Toering says:

Days late as usual, the underground gets deeper every day. lol

Tommy H. says:

I like those early Purple concerts. They have something unique to them, it’s magic. In terms of improvisation you can’t go any further with a band like that. As much as I appreciate Don’s talents, he simply doesn’t come anywhere near to Jon’s master class. Practice and technique is one thing, but this kind of phrasing is something else.

Jeff says:

Did someone pay that Director to not show Ritchie Blackmore? That had to be even more frustrating to watch than the Denmark footage! I wonder if this is the Director who shot the Cream farewell footage at the Albert Hall?..Wow…clueless camerawork!

ricrae says:

Agreed. Gave me a headache! Guess the clueless directors thought that was the best way to film rock in those days. Interesting to see Paicey using the “orthodox grip”. That’s the old fashioned Buddy Rich one if your not a drummer. Wonder when he changed? Uses the current matched grip on the 69 Concerto.

Antonio Scettri says:

There’s no Blackmore in it…. :(

kraatzy says:

Where is Ritchie ??? :-(

LLRnR

kraatzy

Scott W. says:

@5
    Yeah, frustrating to say the least. No Roger either really. I think you see Roger’s bass headstock at one point but Ritchie IS shown briefly tossing the guitar around during the strobe sequence.

heribert plum says:

I was 18 and I was there!! DP came on stage at 22.00! And the took me away for my lifetime!
    I’ll never forget this show with it’s fundamental power, specially of speed king, may be kneel and pray ??!! and child in time; later on wring that neck, paint it black (drum solo) and mandrake root, ritchie doing his (psychodilic) thing with/in the strobo! this times will never come back!