Comments? Tell us!
Deep Purple Live
Last update: October 29, 2003
This section has information related to Deep Purple's live appearances over the years.
What was the latest setlist?
The first few dates from the current Bananas tour have featured a changing setlist as they
work out what songs play best, but most of the songs are the same as this:
- Highway Star
- Woman From Tokyo
- Silver Tongue
- Strange Kind Of Woman
- House Of Pain
- Contact Lost
- Space Truckin'
- Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming
- I Got Your Number
- Well-Dressed Guitar
- Don Airey solo
- Perfect Strangers
- Steve Morse solo
- Smoke on the Water
- Black Night
Also, note that the Guitar Parade before Smoke On The Water hasn't
shown up yet -- Steve's solo is exactly that.
You can find historical setlists at The Highway Star.
Didn't they play at...?
Over the past thirty years, Deep Purple has played countless hundreds of shows. Well, perhaps
not countless; in fact, some people count them very carefully. Two of the best lists available are
Ashberry's, and Nigel Young's Deep Purple Diary. Both are
annotated with details of known recordings, legitimate and otherwise; Nigel's has a more complete
list of recordings, but Martin's has bootleg tracklist details (and larger cover scans ;^) when
possible. The two are complimentary and highly recommended.
Nigel Young has been working on a book version, with assistance from Simon Robinson. It will be
published by Darker Than Blue later this year and available via the DPAS website.
What was that song Steve played before Smoke On The Water?
In 1999 Steve Morse started doing a short medley of well-known songs before launching into
Smoke On The Water, and although there are some obvious favorites that show up time and again (that
a Led Zeppelin song will appear is almost a sure bet), the collection of songs he's quoted from has
been getting broader all the time. The Guitar Parade (or Riff Raff, as some prefer) isn't performed
all the time these days, but when it appears look for selections from
Those marked with * have been performed with the backing of other band members.
- 21st Century Schizoid Man (King Crimson)
- All Along The Watchtower (Bob Dylan/Jimi Hendrix)
- All Right Now (Free) *
- American Woman (The Guess Who)
- Back In Black (AC/DC) *
- Black Dog (Led Zeppelin)
- Bouree (Jethro Tull)
- Brown Sugar (Rolling Stones)
- Can't Explain (The Who) *
- China Grove (Doobie Brothers) *
- Communication Breakdown (Led Zeppelin) *
- Crossroads (Cream) *
- Daytripper (The Beatles)
- Foxy Lady (Jimi Hendrix)
- Fire (Jimi Hendrix)
- Heartbreaker (Led Zeppelin) *
- Here Comes The Sun (The Beatles)
- House Of The Rising Sun (The Animals)
- Iron Man (Black Sabbath) *
- Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring (Bach)
- Johnny B Goode (Chuck Berry)
- Le Grange (ZZ Top) *
- Little Wing (Jimi Hendrix) *
- Love Hurts (Nazareth) *
- Manic Depression (Jimi Hendrix) *
- Mississippi Queen (Mountain)
- Moby Dick (Led Zeppelin) *
- Money For Nothing (Dire Straits) *
- Oh Well (Fleetwood Mac) *
- Panama (Van Halen)
- Purple Haze (Jimi Hendrix)
- Rock 'n' Roll (Gary Glitter)
- Satisfaction (Rolling Stones)
- Something (The Beatles)
- Stairway To Heaven (Led Zeppelin) *
- Start Me Up (Rolling Stones)
- Strawberry Fields (The Beatles) *
- Suite: Judy Blue Eyes (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
- Sunshine Of Your Love (Cream) *
- Sweet Child Of Mine (Guns 'n' Roses) *
- Sweet Home Alabama (Lynyrd Skynyrd) *
- To Be With You (Mr. Big)
- Turn, Turn, Turn (The Byrds)
- Up Around The Bend (Creedence Clearwater Revival)
- Voodoo Chile (Jimi Hendrix) *
- Whole Lotta Love (Led Zeppelin) *
- Wipeout (The Surfaris) *
- Won't Get Fooled Again (The Who) *
- You Really Got Me (The Kinks) *
- Your Cheatin' Heart (Hank Williams)
- and many, many more.....
He also performed "The Star Spangled Banner" in remembrance of the 9/11 victims during the
September 11, 2002 concert in Newcastle.