[ d e e p P u r . p l e ) The Highway Star

Short review!

I'd just like to thank the boys for a magnificent gig at Sweden Rock Festival last Friday. To me, it may have been their best gig since the "Perfect Strangers" tour in Stockholm. Ian Paice played energetically, Jon was better than for many years, Roger really seemed inspired, Steve was thunderous and Ian Gillan... well, needless to say, he can't reach the high notes like in the early 70's, but he sang wonderfully! I think the highpoint was "Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming", but "Space Truckin'", "Perfect Strangers" and "Speed King" were SO brilliant too. Especially the way they put in "Blue Suede Shoes"...
And the Morse "human jukebox" thing... It's so great that DP have enough self-distance to realize how overplayed "Smoke" is, and then do the best of the situation!

Among the other acts, I'd like to mention The Scorpions who were overwhelmingly fantastic (maybe even better then Purple, if that's allowed here!), David Lee Roth, Hammerfall and Dio, who were all great, and Manowar who were pure [cattle manure].

Thanx again, and come back soon!

Daniel "Dan on the silver mountain" Reichberg

[ reviews | the highway star ]