[ d e e p P u r . p l e ) The Highway Star

Deep Purple Review Pontoglio (Brescia) 18, July 1999

Deep Purple's music is always powerful, magic and attractive like a magnet, at the same time!
In spite of a 40 minute delay I saw a very great performance from the young boys.
The setlist was the same as two days before in Milan except the slight variation in Steve Morse's solo - "You really got me" and "Back in black".
Ian Gillan is still an extraordinary singer and he sings in easy manner every kind of music (blues, funk and obvious rock and roll).
Steve plays the guitar with facility and his duet with Jon Lord is a mix of fun pure energy and technique.
Roger Glover is solid and precise as always and I was well impressed by his solo.
Jon Lord has a complete set of music in his mind from the classical influence to the hard rock (the short introduction to "Speed King" is a jazz motif).
Finally I would like to talk about Ian Paice's performance:
By his technical skills he plays with fantasy, precision and very good taste.
The long introduction to "Space Truckin'" and the drum solo are compositions of his capabilities, in other words "great".
Compared with the exhibition in Milan this concert was more significative for many aspects:
In my opinion the Open Air Arena (Idroscalo) was more dispersive and the sound was not clear and effective, further in Pontoglio the band was in very good fettle.
I hope to see you and hear you for 20 years again!

Renato Rossetti

[ reviews | the highway star ]