[ d e e p P u r . p l e ) The Highway Star

Review Lisbon 28th of July 1999

Yesterday I saw my 2nd DP show (the first was Lisbon Sep. 18, 1998). The venue was packed. Almost no advertise in radio. Only a few outdoors in the streets of Lisbon. So I believe it is possible with a good promotion to have a DP show in a bigger venue (the capacity of coliseum is around 4000).

In the merchandising zone there was videos and CDs of "Total Abandon. I'm still waiting for my copy from Cybermusic...

Regarding last reviews no changes in setlist. The sound was powerful and clear.

The highlights
Very powerful version of "69" (IMHO better than the studio version) with something from "The Mule" and "Paint it Black" in the middle of the song.
Great drum solo of Paice with only left hand on snare drum. Unbelievable!
Great bass solo of Glover in "Speed King".
Steve Morse was fantastic, his guitar playing drive me crazy. I have no words to describe...
Ian Gillan's voice is in very good condition. It's incredible! And he is so kind shaking hands with the crowd.
Jon Lord seemed a little bit tired but Jon Lord is the MAESTRO with his magic hands and the crowd enjoyed his music all the time.

All in all one more fantastic show of the best rock band in the world. Each player is the best player in the world in his speciality. Thank you all. Yesterday night was one of the best nights in my life. I hope to see you again (soon please), there are thousands of DP fans in Portugal and we love you.

DEEP PURPLE FOREVER,
Peres

[ reviews | the highway star ]