[ d e e p P u r . p l e ) The Highway Star

Review: Deep Purple 15/06/1999 Hamburg

Nice venue in a public park, not the usual distance between stage and audience but a lawn stretching from the stage ending in a small stone wall.

Sound was from my position (first row, left side) horrible, Roger was way too high in the mix, sometimes you couldn't hear the Hammond and guitar...which may in part caused by city regulations which didn't allow them to start soundcheck before 3 o'clock PM but demanded that the show be finished by 10 o'clock PM.

Due to this regulations the light show was absolutely useless, when they finished it was still broad daylight. Interesting rules for a concert venue...

Support was again Lenny Wolf, good act.

Setlist same as the other German dates, encores again "Seventh Heaven" and "Highway Star".

To keep this short, another excellent show, maybe Steve a little bit more reserved than the dates before, but still great.

But for me the real star of this show was Ian Paice. I took my time watching him this show, he is really shining, very powerful drumming and he seems very much enjoying himself on stage. What a great man...

This must be enough, review for Gelsenkirchen is following shortly.

Christian Rutz

[ reviews | the highway star ]