Review Heppenheim Germany 4 Jun 99
Last year I was in Karlsruhe. And hello to everybody, who suffered last year with me! This time it was much much better!
1. PICTURES OF HOME, extended version, very nice.
2. TED was good fun as well.
3. STRANGE KIND OF WOMAN was longer than last year (as have been most of the songs - a reason why I like to go on DP shows).
4. BLOODSUCKER, nice gag in the end when Steve and Roger turned each other down the volume knob in the end.
5. 69 was new in the set. A nice middle section with parts of THE MULE in it.
6. WOMAN FROM TOKYO was solid as ever.
7. SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE SCREAMING: Nice to have it back. IG had the whole night lots of fun and was dancing around like crazy or maybe a little bit drunken (maybe he liked the German beer - the song was announced SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE DRINKING)
8. WATCHING THE SKY
9. SPACE TRUCKIN was recycled, short but heavy.
STEVE SOLO: well, this guy can play guitar.
10. LAZY good intro, but very short in comparison to the rest.
Intro: SUNSHINE OF YOUR LOVE, YOU REALLY GOT ME, LA GRANGE, IRON MAN and a couple more to...
11. SMOKE ON THE WATER: oldie but goldie, especially on open air festivals where the crowd wants only the old stuff.
JON SOLO: nice variation of SMOKE, and powerful intro to...
12. PERFECT STRANGERS, which was really pumping.
13. SPEED KING was even longer than long. Including some Elvis, some drum solo, some crazy IG, good interacting and and and....
Encores: 14. SEVENTH HEAVEN was o.k., but everyone expected BLACK NIGHT (they did not play it!!)
15. HIGHWAY STAR ended the whole great evening.
Conclusion: Very much of Made in Japan (well almost everything), little of IN ROCK, nothing from FIREBALL :(, not too many surprises, but a very good more than two hour show which was at no time boring.