[ d e e p P u r . p l e ) The Highway Star

Review from Curitiba 03/23/99

I had to move from Rio Grande do Sul State to Paraná State to see Deep Purple in Curitiba.
    The show took place at Forum a beautiful and fine Venue of Curitiba and about four thousand purple fans was there, a good audience for the place.
    The show started at 22:00 and lasted 2 hours.
    The stage setup, the clothes were the same of the European tour except Ian Gillan with short hair and wearing a kind of a Black Suit like a Captain of a ship.
    The show was absolutely fantastic, out of this world.
    Ian Paice, Jon Lord and Roger Glover did a great job but Ian Gillan and Steve Morse...
    Ian is singing like the old times. His vocals in songs like Bludsucker and Watching the sky were "SUPERB" like Ian said to the audience.
    Steve Morse! The man of the night, his solo at the end of Sometimes I Feel like Screaming was the best that I've heard in my life. Nobody missed Ritchie.

The setlist
Ted the Mechanic
Strange kind of woman
Bludsucker
Pictures of home
Almost human
Woman from Tokyo
Watching the sky
Fireball
Sometimes I feel like screaming
(great guitar solo with a little bit of "Paranoid" that introduced SOTW) Smoke on the Water (The place almost came down)
Keyboard solo
Lazy (Nice Gillan harmonica)
Perfect Strangers (Everybody sang this song with Gillan)
Speed King (with drum and bass solo and guitar/keyboards, guitar/voice duets, the best song of the night)

Encores (Do you want more ?)
Black night
Highway Star

In conclusion was a great show and I'm looking for the next Purple tour

Leandro M. Granella

[ reviews | the highway star ]