[ d e e p P u r . p l e ) The Highway Star

Best possible replacement

I hadn't seen Deep Purple since 1996 and was really looking forward to the event. The fact that Jon was still recuperating from his recent operation didn't disappoint me too much, knowing that Don Airey is the best possible replacement. I had even managed to talk a couple of my pals into coming along. All in all there was seven of us, most of them having never even seen Deep Purple. The youngest was 25, the eldest nearly 50.

I can't remember the exact set list, but it sounded pretty much identical to the previous reviews. The sound and mix was great and they all were in fantastic form.

Ian's voice was perfect, I didn't notice any evidence of his voice cracking up at all and he was dancing all over the stage enjoying himself to the utmost. He looked a bit chuffed when Steve slipped into "Happy Birthday" and it was sung along deafeningly by the crowd...

I couldn't see Roger too well from where I was standing, but when I could he was beaming all the time. Steve and Roger seemed to be fiddling with each other's instrument (I mean guitars of course) some time during "SOTW". Steve... well Steve was really rocking it away and having the time of his life it seemed. I really like his treatment of "Perfect Strangers"; but then again, I like all of his playing with DP.

Ian Paice proved yet again that there are hardly a handful of drummers who can get anywhere close to his amazing talent. I had heard so often of his one-handed drumming, but to actually see it is a real eye-opener.

Don, as said before, was a perfect replacement and did a fantastic job. He is a most excellent musician and obviously enjoyed the gig. (I wonder whether the fact that he was wearing all black meant anything at all!) Thanks Don...

All in all, it was a fantastic show... The only the thing I might say, is that I didn't think the Museumsplatz a very good venue for this type of concert, but that's only my opinion.

Looking forward to seeing the guys next time around...

All the best and thumbs up to you guys...

Simon Goss

[ reviews | the highway star ]