[ d e e p P u r . p l e ) The Highway Star

1 of 18.000 happy people

105 minutes of power, joy and rock is the best way to describe Deep Purple in Gampel, Switzerland.

The band was in best shape, Don Airey was replacing Jon Lord - he did a great job and thanks to him we were able to see Deep Purple live. Any other band would have cancelled - not Deep Purple.

18.000 people at the festival on Saturday evening beating the old record set by Joe Cocker where 15.000 attended last year. And thank God (or whoever else is responsible) they played "When A Blind Man Cries". Was Steve Morse born playing a guitar already?

I couldn't find anybody that didn't like the show and I can't wait to see two songs on Swiss Television taped on Saturday.

Meanwhile I listen to "Live At The Olympia" and can't wait to see them live again soon in Switzerland.

Highlights as mentioned were "When A Blind Man Cries" and "Highway Star", "Perfect Strangers" and "Happy Birthday" played by Steve Morse for Ian Gillan who celebrated his birthday in Gampel.

After 30 years on the road they still seem to love what they're doing - and that's the reason why we STILL love to see them play.

Dano Tamásy

[ reviews | the highway star ]