[ d e e p P u r . p l e ) The Highway Star

Rat Bat Rainy Blues

Wow!

This is the fourth time I saw Deep Purple and I should say that Iīll never forget it as long as I live.....

There was a big delay of the show because of the rain that was falling. The road crew was covering and uncovering the equipment according to the weather change. When rain started nobody left their seats! Even though it kept raining very hard for more than an hour and most of us didnīt have umbrellas, raincoats or anything else to keep us dry there was no way we were going to leave... The famous Greek bravery was there. The crowd was shouting and singing all the time until we were informed that they were trying to solve some technical problems to avoid cancelling the show.

Finally, the show started at 10:30 instead of 9. The crowd welcomed the band who were surprised to see a full house of five or six thousand people (I canīt tell for sure - I was never good at counting people in public places!).

The set list was the usual for the tour:
Woman From Tokyo
Ted The Mechanic
No One Came
Fools
Perfect Strangers
Smoke On The Water
Speed King
Hush
Mary Long
The Well-Dressed Guitar
and more...

It was funny to watch Ian Gillan wearing a rain-coat when the show started and then changing to his Hawaii-look with his classic shirt.

The band was in great shape. I never heard Gillan screaming so loud in front of me before! It was like turning back time to his old days. Glover was punctual as usual reminding us of "Rat Bat Blue" in his solo. Paicyīs drumming was solid as always and with a great solo in the middle of "Speed King". Morse was perfect! I still canīt believe what I heard from him. Don airey on the other hand was really wonderful replacing Jon Lord with his enthusiastic and imaginative playing.

It was a great show. In fact, it was the most enjoyable Deep Purple concert Iīve ever been to... until the next one!

Jon Dolas

[ reviews | the highway star ]