[ d e e p P u r . p l e ) The Highway Star

Better than the rest!!!

Deep Purple proved yet again that they are in a league of their own when it comes to hard rock. Last night at the Molson Amphitheatre where security was very tight, they played a short set of very inspired rock. Gillan was in extremely fine voice tonight and showed the crowd what a real singer and front man is all about. Johnny Van Zandt of Lynyrd Skynyrd showed the other extreme. "Look at us, we're great... come on give US a hand people." (Nugent was very crowd friendly and I enjoyed his verbal 4-letter assault.) Lets get to Purple.

They walked on and the crowd acknowledged the band with a hearty ovation... Then into "Woman From Tokyo". Gillan was incredible tonight... right from the get go. "Ted" followed and was performed flawlessly. Morse plays the opening riff with incredible dexterity, a true master. "Lazy" was next and some great keys by Jon. "Knocking At Your Back Door" was a treat and the band were really enjoying themselves. "Fools," very well done and great to hear them play this gem... "Pictures Of Home," "Perfect Strangers," "When A Blind Man Cries" and "Smoke" all done well.

Encores: a very, very, good "Hush" and "Highway Star" ended the show - far too short.

I would have liked to have heard more from Morse era however I'll take any Purple cuz it's just better than the rest!!!

The band's interaction between themselves is a treat to watch. Morse grinning all night. Lord the master, Glover and Paice keeping the rhythm and Big Ian simply the best! Now...I want to see more... Got out the atlas but then reality set in. Sigh!!

Thanks to the greatest hard rock band ever. DEEP PURPLE!!!

Rod Sein

[ reviews | the highway star ]