[ d e e p P u r . p l e ) The Highway Star

Purple in Pitt

I caught the Nugent/Deep Purple/Skynyrd show about 48 hrs ago and cannot get Deep Purple's tremendous performance off my mind. I've owned a few "albums" of the Purps over the years, i.e "Machine Head" and "Made In Japan", but have never considered myself a hard-core fan. However, what I witnessed Friday night was the most fun I've had at a show in a long time. I never quit smiling during DP's 75 minute show. They all seemed to be enjoying themselves from my 6th row seat.

The setlist was I believe the same as previous shows. I really enjoyed "Ted The Mechanic" and "Fools". They were two songs that I was not familiar with but I cannot wait to get and buy some DP CDs. Another highlight was a blistering version of "Smoke On The Water", with "Stairway" and "All Along The Watchtower" leading the way. I wished they would have finished "Watchtower", it sounded that good.

THANK YOU Ian G., Ian P, Roger, Jon and Steve for thrilling me and my wife with your performance. I hope you tour the States very soon as a headliner. You were far the best band on that stage at Post Pavilion.

Jeff Burton

[ reviews | the highway star ]