[ d e e p P u r . p l e ) The Highway Star

Come back to Florida please!

It had been 13 years since I saw Deep Purple and last night was the best I had ever seen them play. The venue was small and intimate like the size of a movie theatre. I stood in the fifth row next to a roving camera arm that consistently swung back and forth at me but well worth it!

The band played with incredible energy and it was great to hear some different songs as well as their classics. "Highway Star" was unreal thanks to Steve Morse playing the original solo and Ian Gillan matching on vocals.

Also it was great to see a drum solo again especially from Ian Paice - truly one of the best drummers ever! Ian Gillan's voice sounded terrific and Steve Morse's solos were intense to say the least. Once again mesmerizing trade offs between guitar and keyboard and Steve did a 70's medley on guitar, including tunes by Zeppelin, Edgar Winter Band, and the Stones (hey Steve, how about some Kansas next time!?).

It was also good to see the lasers again with "Perfect Strangers". All in all the show was amazing and went by way too fast. So I only hope to see the band again soon!

Come back to Florida please!

Thomas J Siravo

[ reviews | the highway star ]