[ d e e p P u r . p l e ) The Highway Star

"Fools" alone was worth it

I am speechless! Not too many people have caught as many Purple gigs as I have, but this is the first I have seen in a year or more and I am in total reverence of the performance I saw tonight. Although it is easy to lament a short set-list for the third US/Canada tour in a row, the quality of the show more than makes up for a few tunes! The set-list was pretty much as others except only one encore ("Highway Star") and "Speed King" in lieu of "Knocking At Your Back Door" or "Hey Cisco".

Ian, looking the best I have seen in many years, sung the whole show barefoot and looked like he was having fun. The diet that Bron must have put him on is working well. His voice was good and the couple beside me in their 50's, who hadn't seen Purple since '84 were amazed. They kept saying, "The Voice, the Voice!" as Ian powered through "Lazy".

Packing in the biggest venue of this tour, the Detroit audience at the DTE Energy Music Theatre (aka Pine Knob, capacity around 15,000), was a little more laid back then they used to be but had a great time in the ninety one degree (32ºC) temperature. Steve as usual proved that there is no one better on his instrument and stunned many with his sheer brilliance. No one makes it look more easy! He looked the most comfortable I have ever seen him on a Purple stage. Mr. Lord, well without gushing over him with superlatives, was excellent as usual and also looked like he was having a lot of fun. The band was REALLY tight with Paicey and Roger providing a stable backbone. I think the band recruited a few Lynyrd Skynyrd fans also as a few blokes draped in southern flags with Lynyrd Skynyrd bandanas on kept asking me who was on guitar and "is that the original singer?" They just stood in awe as I did. This is a band that is getting better and better. It was better than the last performance here with ELP three years ago and it was better than the taped show in Australia, although the DVD of "Total Abandon" is very dear to me!

I agree with others that for me "Fools" is a wonderful highlight. It is the first time I have ever heard it performed live and it did not disappoint. It for me was a special moment to hear it, the solos and the ad-libbing in it from IG and Steve were fantastic! "Fools" alone was worth the price of admission!

I wish I had the time and money to see more gigs on this tour as it is so wonderful to see this band live in concert, especially now as I think they are playing the best they ever have. I think there is more to come, for these guys have so much to offer. Gentleman, my complete thanks for a wonderful job well done. I am grateful, truly grateful.

Laurens van't Zelfde

[ reviews | the highway star ]