[ d e e p P u r . p l e ) The Highway Star

Rotterdam Okt 30 2000

The evening started with Jon Lord introducing Marco de Goeij (the Dutchman who, in some way, made all of this possible).

The show started and you could feel that the band was in a very good mood. Every song was played with an enthusiam like it was being played for the first time. And can I just say that I heard a great "Concerto"?

When the "Concerto" was over, the band shifted up into highest gear with "Perfect Strangers" and the final song "Smoke On The Water". This time with intro snippets from "Spirit Of Radio" (Rush), "You Really Got Me" (with a vocal contribution from Ian), the solo from "Stairway To Heaven" (Led Zeppelin) and "Heartbreaker" (Led Zeppelin). After a really really heavy "Smoke On The Water" the orchestra left the stage.

The audience exploded, singing and shouting and after a few minutes everyone began to sing the riff to "Black Night" and indeed the band came back and played the song as if it was the very first time. And after this, without hesitation they went on with a suberb "Highway Star".

I said it before..They Had FUN!!!!!

And Jon Lord was right when he said (after he had introduced Marco): "We start off with something quiet ...and send you home deaf!!"

"I'm Just a Big Bear of no brains at all"

Michel Kempes

[ reviews | the highway star ]