[ d e e p P u r . p l e ) The Highway Star

Review - Milano 23-10-2000

I went yesterday to Milano for the Deep Purple concert with the George Enescu Philharmonic Orchestra from Bucharest (conducted by Paul Mann!!!), Ronnie James Dio and Miller Anderson. The best concert of my life.

The concert started at 9.30 PM and lasted 150 minutes. The fantastic thing was, to my great surprise, they played a fantastic set with a lot of songs not included in the concert with the London Symphony Orchestra. Ronnie James Dio sang, with his big heart, four songs (including the fantastic "Love Is All"!) but yesterday was the Jon Lord genius tribute

He introduced the show like a true gentleman and he played "Pictured Within" at the piano - a great pianist; his Hammond solos were also superlative. There is only one word for Ian Gillan: superb. During "Black Night" he took Paul Mann's place and directed the audience with Paul Mann's baton. Roger Glover seemed to be only 20 years old and never stopped smiling and running all the time; Paice's performance was just perfect and Steve is better with every concert (an exciting "Smoke On The Water" intro which even included a "Stairway To Heaven" solo).

There were a lot of marvellous surprises during the whole concert: "When A Blind Man Cries", "Perfect Strangers" and "Fools" (I couldn't believe it!). A great performance from the orchestra, especially the beautiful blond cellist. A great end with "Black Night" and "Highway Star".

Everyone must see DP on this tour, the acoustics were excellent and the audience fabulous.

Scialá Luca

[ reviews | the highway star ]