[ d e e p P u r . p l e ) The Highway Star

Opening night, European Concerto Tour

Hello,

Ward van den Berg here.

Went to watch a Deep Purple show for the first time in 5 years. I kind of lost interest after Blackmore's departure. But, with the arguments of "The Concerto" deal and the guest appearance of Ronnie James Dio in mind, I decided to get reacquainted with the band that played a rather important role in my life and took my 13 year old daughter to see the Antwerp opening show.

In a word, I was pleased. Though it took some getting used to, having to remain seated during a Purple-gig. The choice of play-list, especially, was a pleasant surprise. "Pictures Of Home" and "Fools" took me back, I can tell you that for nothing! Though the classical part seemed to really test the audience's patience (and mine) to the outer limits, the quality was a sufficient reward in my opinion. Sorry to say, halfway through my daughter was fast asleep. No culture wasted on her!

The only downside, in my humble opinion, was the rather short leg of rock-anthems at the end of the show. Though everybody was well aware of the fact that it was a 'concerto', the rewarding two ending rock songs left something to be desired. There should have been a couple of songs more?

I end, speaking out the hope that when I visit the Rotterdam show at the end of this month, there will be a bit more of the 'heavy stuff' at the end?

But apart from this, bloody marvellous!

See you in Rotterdam!

Ward van den Berg

[ reviews | the highway star ]