[ d e e p P u r . p l e ) The Highway Star

Tour review: Madrid, July 24

July 24, Madrid. Before the DP show Mago de Oz, N~u and Baron Rojo played. In my opinion, 3 supporting bands are too much. Mago de Oz started at 21:00PM and DP at 01:00AM. Anyway, it was emotive to see again N~u and Baron Rojo, old bands of the great 80's hard rock in Spain. They are on the road again. Thanks for including a DP tribute in your shows. Good luck, boys!

A little note in Spanish: Mago de Oz, en este concierto erais el primero de los tres teloneros de Deep Purple en Madrid, no seais tan pretenciosos y reconoced donde esta vuesto lugar, como lo hicieron N~u y los Barones, que encandilaron a la gente sin malos rollos ni historias raras, solo con buena musica.

...and the boys are back in town! ;-D
What can I say? Magical, amazing show, but noisy sound. The bullring had very bad acoustics, half-closed in top, mixing and loosing all the high frequencies. Great moments confused, like the Steve's harmonics in "Sometimes i feel like screaming" guitar solo.

Last DP show on the A.Band.On.Tour in Madrid, Sept. 15, 1998, a friend said to me: "for a long time, we will not see a show as good than this". Je je je! 8 months later, we saw a (IMHO) better show. The band are in constant progression of feeling, compenetration and...joking!! It is very nice to confirm this good feeling show after show. How can this guys to improve time after time?

Approximately the same GREAT SET of songs of the others reviews, with the wonderful SIFLS again.

Highlights

• Incredible Ian Paice drum solo, including a demostration: he don't need two hands, he can do anything with just one!
  • Great and funny medley, (Led Zep, Beatles, Stones...) and a lot of improvisations between songs, including the arpeggios of "Cascades".
  • The virtuosity of Jon Lord, very good duet with Steve, great solo with a extract of "Concierto de Aranjuez"... Thanks, Jon!
  • Ian Gillan's voice is improving constantly.
  • Roger's solo: yaaaahooooo! And thanks, Roger, for your dedication and amiability.
  • Last (but not) Steve's solo, medley and all. Plenty of feeling, virtuosity, creativity... You are essential in this new DP!

Well, boys, THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH FOR THE SHOW!!! I think the band is in one of their better times. I hope to hear again "The boys are back in town" as soon as possible. See you!

Jesus J. Fernandez

[ reviews | the highway star ]