[ d e e p P u r . p l e ) The Highway Star

Review: 16 April '99 - Perth - Australia

15 years since they last played here last, a little older and greyer...but who gives a shit?! It's Deep Purple!!

The Burswood Dome had every walk of life and age-group ready to rock.

They hit the stage, I could sense a feeling of disbelief at Ian's new haircut and Admiral jacket, but 20 seconds into 'Ted', ya just knew these guys were gonna perform something special.

I have never seen Gillan look so damn happy, beaming grins, skipping around, punching his drums, shaking his tabourine...joking about and just so into every song, his voice sounded as good and as strong as ever - that's what I will remember most.

Ian Paice was tight as a duck's ass, solid drumming, thundering drumming, what a guy.

Jon Lord, the maestro, silver haired genius kept it all together, those haunting deep notes bellowing from that organ...he reminded us that 'Perfect Strangers' was first performed in Perth when they last kicked off their reunion tour in '84.

Roger was great, I was on his side and he was having a blast, nodding and winking and grinning in our direction all through the set.

Ritchie who???? Steve Morse was amazing, my wife thinks he has the sexiest smile in the business. He was like a fucking Cheshire Cat, his solos were clean and technically brilliant, and definately brings a fresher feeling to the band.

The set list you all know by now, no suprises there. No stage effects or anything...but that was the point, it was the music we wanted, and it just kept coming like a hurricane. My ears are still thudding, it was loud, very loud...but we didn't want it any other way.

I'd give it a 9.5 out of 10, sheer style and class.

Thanks for coming to 'Sleepy ol Perth' guys, just hope they make it back one day.

Simon Green

[ reviews | the highway star ]