[ d e e p P u r . p l e ) The Highway Star

REVIEW - Adelaide April 19, 1999

Got back from the show at the Adelaide Entertainment Centre a few hours ago, and I'm still buzzing from the sheer excitement of seeing some of my idols for the first time! My mate and I had 9th row aisle seats, but as soon as the lights dimmed we rushed to the stage and were standing against the rail right in front of Roger Glover. What a thrill to see them so close!
The guys were obviously really enjoying themselves, grinning and winking and waving to us. Setlist was the same as Perth, the highlights of the show for me were "Speed King", "Woman From Tokyo", "Strange Kind Of Woman" and of course the encores "Black Night" and "Highway Star".
Ian Gillan, what can I say? He was prancing and dancing around the stage, banging his bongos and shaking his tambourine. Still has that primal scream I love so much...
Steve's solo was hot {playing snippets of Zeppelin and Sabbath} and the vocal/guitar between himself and Ian was awesome.
Jon Lord and Ian Paice also did their solo spots, with Jon playing a bit of "Waltzing Matilda" {a nice Aussie touch}, and Ian's spot had a spectacular light show. They have lost none of their special magic over the years. 10 out of 10 guys, the best show I have ever been to!
I caught a couple of guitar picks from Roger and Steve, and got some lovely smiles from the boys, so I came home a very happy lady indeed! I'd also like to thank them for signing my L.P posters and book at the airport. Please come back soon!

Kerri Hunter

[ reviews | the highway star ]