[ d e e p P u r . p l e ) The Highway Star

Some things in life you only get once...

Hello there, again after Halle, me and two friends went on a 2.5hrs drive all the way south to get the boys in Nürnberg. They played the "Park des Bayrischen Rundfunks" (property of Bavarian broadcast), a fine small park with a stage. They even had a painting behind the stage which looked good with the light effects during the show: a purple curtain with blue sky and a setting sun... I liked it.

The support act was once again another local outfit, kinda boring to me, but it didn't matter anyway, and then again came the guys from aprilDAZE I already described yesterday in my review from Halle.

DP hit the stage around 9 p.m. and again we had good sound right from the beginning, and from the point where we stood yesterday we also got a much better sound from the keyboards. Ian seemed to have a few voice problems during "Woman From Tokyo", but he managed to get over it quickly and the rest of the show was just a gas!

With the better sound of the keyboards we definitely appreciated the job Don was doing, especially the moody solo in "When A Blind Man Cries", which goes close along the original melody of the guitar solo before SM takes over. It's such a fine piece of music! I also loved the version of "Fools" and besides the soloing, which is very fine, I most enjoyed Paicey's drumming throughout the keyboard solo. Then SM comes in with the tear-dropping melody and slightly sets up tempo. I still get my neck hairs upstanding only thinking of it.

Well, the setlist is still the same, but excellent and effective. I would like to have "Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming" back, and of course some of the first songs from "Abandon", besides the never dying wishes to have "Rat Bat Blue", "Place In Line", "No No No" or their like played... [You're not alone. Rasmus]

Woman From Tokyo
Ted The Mechanic
Mary Long
Lazy
No One Came
Fools
Well Dressed Guitar
Perfect Strangers
When A Blind Man Cries
Smoke On The Water
Speed King

Encores:
Black Night
Hush
Highway Star

The show went for around 1h 25 mins, plu 20 mins of encores. The crowd was very supporting. "Speed King" was approximately 5 mins shorter than the version given in Halle the day before. But then we had Roger singing which didn't happen in Nürnberg. Some things in life you only get once...

Definitely I want to wish Jon Lord all the best! Hope to see him again the next time DP is in Germany. Last, but not least, there is a lovely tour program for DM25 which is well worth its price. Thanx for everything DP, please come back!

Svent Gustav

[ reviews | the highway star ]