[ d e e p P u r . p l e ) The Highway Star

Black Night in Skanderborg

This was my first Purple-show in over two years (my seventh total), and although I was a bit disappointed to learn that Jon Lord wasn't going to be there, it still intrigued me to know that I was going to witness the first Purple concert with Don Airey (a fine replacement).

"Woman From Tokyo" started the preceedings (as on the Australasian tour earlier this year), and the crowd was jumping from the very first drum beat. Gillan has lost some weight, and looked better than ever! I also found his singing absolutely superb. His screaming at the end of "Tokyo" almost brought tears to my eyes.

Sadly, no songs from "Abandon" (I was waiting for "Watching The Sky" or "Seventh Heaven") and just one from "Purpendicular" (the almighty "Ted"). But it was nice to finally hear "Mary Long" and "Fools". Keep 'em coming! Nice to hear "The Well Dressed Guitar". I wonder if this one is going to have lyrics at some point - maybe end up on the next album? [So was this played with Don doing the orchestral bits? Rasmus]

Other personal highlights for me were "Perfect Strangers", "When A Blind Man Cries" (with a fabulous Morse solo) and the jam-part of "Speed King" (what was Gillan on?) ;-)

As for Mr Airey - he did a great job all things considered. I don't know how much rehearsal they'd had, but he managed to pull it off splendidly. [As far as we know he had three days... Rasmus]

I'm off to see them again at 5-Řren in Copenhagen this Sunday. Hopefully we'll get a longer show - perhaps with a few more surprises.

SET LIST:

Woman From Tokyo
Ted The Mechanic
Mary Long
Lazy
No One Came
Fools
The Well Dressed Guitar
Perfect Strangers
When A Blind Man Cries
Guitar Parade: Sweet Home Alabama > Back In Black > Voodoo Child > Stairway To Heaven >
Smoke On The Water
Speed King (with bass- and drumsolo)

Encore:
Black Night
Hush
Highway Star

René Mikkelsen

[ reviews | the highway star ]