[ d e e p P u r . p l e ) The Highway Star

Deep Purple In Rain!!!

Even though Purple took the stage 15 minutes prior to what had been announced, I doubt that anyone in the audience expected a repetition of the California Jam incident. Mainly due to the fact that the main participant in those events (the banjo-player) is locked away in a castle sometime around 1557... and although some asshole insisted on yelling "Ritchieeee" throughout the show, he wasn't missed.

At 6.45 p.m. "Woman From Tokyo" was pounding through the showers at 5-Řren in Copenhagen - and once again the show was on. And so was Purple. It had been three days since their debut with Don Airey at Skanderborg, and it was very clear that he now is a genuine part of the band! His book of notes had vanished, ear-to-ear smiles (a trick Steve taught him, I guess) and generally kicking ass!!!

The rain was pouring heavily during the first half of the set, and it took the demonic fury of "Fools" to blast away the clouds.

Since they hit the stage earlier, I was actually hoping for a longer set, but they chose the safety of doing the same set as Skanderborg. Understandably, since Airey is still new to all those songs. It wouldn't be fair to throw him into "'69" or "Watching The Sky". [But I'm sure he'd cope and something good would come of it. Rasmus]

Although the audience seemed to be expecting a 'greatest hits' set, they still rocked along to "Ted" and "Mary Long", but as Airey played the first chords of "Perfect Strangers", they erupted! I've never heard this song so well received before.

During Airey's organ intro to "Lazy", he played a little classical piece, that sounded much like something Jon would do during early renditions of "Wring That Neck", much to the audience's amusement. His solo prior to "Perfect Strangers" included Mozart's "Rondo Alla Turca", Gershwin's "Rhapsody In Blue" and - of course - "Wonderful Copenhagen"...

Roger gave an excellent bass solo during "Speed King", that really showed how much he has grown over the past few years. He's fuckin' awesome!!! Paice's solo also kicked serious ass - he stopped halfway to 'wind-up' his drumsticks, and proceeded with the famous one-stick drum roll. Huge applause.

Fans of Roger Glover must have had the time of their lives, as the bass sound was unreasonably loud. It often drowned out both the organ and guitar (at least from where I was standing - circa center stage 10 meters into the audience). But all in all it was an excellent show. Even better than Skanderborg, as they where more relaxed this time.

Set list:
Woman From Tokyo
Ted The Mechanic
Mary Long
Lazy
No One Came
Fools
The Well-Dressed Guitar
Perfect Strangers
When A Blind Man Cries
Guitar Parade: Foxy Lady > Sweet Home Alabama > Layla > Won't Get Fooled Again > Stairway To Heaven > Smoke On The Water
Speed King (incl. Rave On)

Encore:
Black Night
Hush
Highway Star

René Mikkelsen

[ reviews | the highway star ]