"Fools"
"Pictures Of Home"
"When A Blind Man Cries"
"Perfect Strangers"
"Smoke On The Water"

(encore)
"Hush"
"Highway Star"

It's almost impossible to fathom, but it's scary to think this band has not peaked yet. Why? Because this was the 18th or 19th time I've seen them, and after every past show, I thought it was the best - that they couldn't top a previous show. I know I'm always going to enjoy a Purple show, but to be amazed again and again just bowls me over. Their energy, their passion, their enjoyment of feeding off an audience from beginning to end, is a pleasure to be a part of.

In Toronto, just about every aspect was Grade A to my ears and eyes. And fortunately, there was a huge walk-up crowd for ticket sales, because I'd estimate the number at about 9,000 or 10,000, whereas two days ago, it looked like the Molson Amphitheater would only be a quarter full. DP went over very well here (as usual) and you can tell there were many, many diehards who were soaking up every minute - shaking wildly, dancing, or fist-pumping on several songs.

There were so many highlights I could pick out for each band member; but better musicianship, camaraderie with the crowd, not to mention with each other, you would be hard-pressed to see at Purple levels. Wrap all that up on a gorgeous night, about 30C, with a slight breeze... among great friends... well yeah, "Seventh Heaven" comes to mind!

Yes, we could spend eternity wishing for a longer set list or particular songs being left in or out, but remember, this is Deep Purple in the flesh, playing music. I'd take that any day. And as I've said many times before - they were the best band playing live on the planet earth last night. Period.

Glen Miller

[ reviews | the highway star ]