4. "Fools"
5. "Lazy"
6. "Hey Cisco"
7. "When A Blind Man Cries"
8. "Perfect Strangers"
9. "Smoke On The Water"
10. "Hush" (encore)
11. "Highway Star" (encore)

This was my first dose of Purple Passion since 4-5-73 when I saw the band in Lincoln, Nebraska. It's great to see that my boyhood idols not only still have what it takes, but actually can surpass the levels of intensity they have achieved in the past. I was very impressed with the way that Steve Morse has re-energized this band. They are truly one of the most talented bands in rock and it's great to see them having fun again.

Omaha Civic is kind of a cement cave and acoustics can be strange, but the techs somehow managed to make magic. I have seen many shows in this venue and the sound on this night was the best I've heard at Civic. The high points for me were "No One Came" and an extremely powerful "Perfect Strangers". Also right before "Smoke On The Water" Steve played snippets from ZZ Top, AC/DC, James Gang and the band also did an incendiary rendition of the guitar solo from "Stairway To Heaven".

I was fortunate enough to get backstage passes (thanks Ian) and got to meet Roger and Steve. Roger was quite cordial and happily conversed with us. I got a guitar pick from Steve and some free guitar advice. What a bonus to an already great night. Thanks guys.

My only complaints were the shortness of the set. I understand that there were three acts, but I sure would like to see a few hours of these gents. I will probably go south to the KC show on July 3rd because once just wasn't enough for me. Don't miss it if you get a chance to catch this show. It's worth it.

Michael Atkins

[ reviews | the highway star ]