[ d e e p P u r . p l e ) The Highway Star

Steve, thank you!

Unbelievable. Purple was fantastic. Just a quick review of the show. There we were, my brother and myself only feet from the stage waiting, with about 10 000 other excited Purple fans filling the seats of The Molson Amphitheatre in Toronto.

Uncle Ted came on sometime around 7:00pm and did a great show. He was loud as hell, and didn't stop rockin' until the end. There were only 3 songs I knew from classic Ted Nugent, "Cat Scratch Fever," "Stranglehold" and "Wang Dang Sweet Poontang." The highlight of his show was when he shot his guitar with a flaming bow and arrow. Great job Ted.

Next up, after Ted's gear was moved off, Purple's gear was set up. Purple Roadies are fast, but also very particular, they made sure everything was right.

Purple took to the stage shortly after to a huge reception from the Toronto crowd. They wasted no time and went right into the first song. Here's the setlist:

"Woman From Tokyo"
"Ted The Mechanic"
"Lazy"
"Knocking At Your Back Door" - Was not expecting this one, but it sounded unbelievable
"Fools"
"Pictures Of Home"
"Perfect Strangers"
"When A Blind Man Cries"
"Smoke On The Water"

Encore:
"Hush"
"Highway Star"

We were on our feet from start to stop. Nobody sat or left while Purple played. Purple was just blown away by the U.S. They were touched. Ian Gillan was in top form, he hit those high screams beautifully. He also looked liked he has lost weight - he looked and sounded great. Roger Glover was also fantastic. Here's a guy who's almost 56, and he's running and jumping around the stage like he's in his 20's. His bass playing was just superb, there's no other bass player like him. Jon Lord, what can I say about Jon that hasn't already been said 1,000,000 times already. He is the best in the world bar none. Steve Morse, this guy has completely rejuvenated Purple. Purple has not sounded this good since the 1970s. Steve is an ace guitar player. He does the old songs justice, and plays with the band. STEVE, THANK YOU.

Ian Paice has got to be the best drummer out there. Even though he didn't do a drum solo he was still a pleasure to watch. I'm a drummer too and he has been a huge influence on my playing, and many others too.

After Purple were done, I looked at my brother and said, "Seen enough?" He said, "Yep, we don't have to stay for Skynryd because there's no way they'll top that." So we left. A perfect ending to and unbelievable night.

S. Bray

[ reviews | the highway star ]