[ d e e p P u r . p l e ) The Highway Star

Ricthie Who?

Well, it is the morning after the show at Mansfield, MA (near Boston). I must say the reviews I read about Morse being a great replacement for Ritchie I was very skeptical. I was little upset that people were saying Ritchie who? But not anymore - WOW! Morse ROCKED!!!! I am now saying Ritchie who? Deep Purple ROCKED the joint the set list was:

"Woman From Tokyo"
"Ted The Mechanic"
"No One Came"
"Fools"
"Lazy"
"Pictures Of Home"
"Hey Cisco"
"When A Blind Man Cries"
"Perfect Strangers"
"Smoke On The Water"

Encore:
"Hush"
"Highway Star"

The whole show was GREAT!!!!! The Nug was... well, Nug as only Nug can be!!! The same with Skynard!!! It was my second time seeing all three bands. I saw Purple in 1985 in Providence, RI. (or was it Worcester, MA?) - it was a long time ago, you know - and they were GREAT then. That was my very first concert.

I took a buddy of mine to see this show he has never seen Purple but he promises to see them the next time when they headline a show with NO RESTRAINTS on the time!!!!! You could tell that they didn't want to end the show. Hell, they looked like they were just getting going when it was time for them to leave. They really didn't belong on this tour with Skynard and Nugent (nothing against them) but the contrast is like oil and water - they don't go together.

Ian was incredible I didn't recognize him with short gray, well, VERY gray hair. He looked great and in the best shape of his life, and he acted like it too, just going nuts up there. You can tell there is a chemistry there he - was smiling laughing and joking with the other band members. Ian hasn't lost a signal note in his voice, the man is incredible.

Now for Steve Morse - Oh My God! I couldn't believe what I was hearing and seeing - he ROCKED! (I am on a mission to find more stuff by him)!!! Jon Lord was of course just absolutely incredible. My buddy was numb over Lord's magic at the ivories. Roger can still pound a mean bass! My buddy was even more numb listening and watching Paice. My bud was a drummer so he can relate. I told him a long time ago that he had to see this man play. He finally got the chance and the look on his face said it all. Paice still pounds the skins like no other!!!!!!!

I did stick around for Skynard and I saw the Nug only because, well, they were a bonus for me. I went to see Purple, not them. They were an added side show for me. Like I said this was my second time seeing all three bands.

John B Graves

[ reviews | the highway star ]