[ d e e p P u r . p l e ) The Highway Star

I loved it!

It was almost exactly 30 yrs ago, the last time I saw Purple...they kicked ass!!...again! :)

In some ways I think they're better today. Man oh man...POWERFUL!!...and fun. It was in my opinion quite wonderful. I do wish they could've come out after dark. The whole thing started at 6:30 with Nugent, about an hour too soon, not that big a deal. They did "Fools" and "No One Came" back to back...a "Fireball" double dose.

"Lazy" absolutely kicked ass! The crowd (which I believe was probably made up of mostly Skynyrd fans), really got into it. Nugent was good - saw him in the '70s - enjoyed him more last night. I like the power trio thing.

LS were good too, but you know...Purple was THE highlight...ooh, they were soo good! TIGHT! I took my 24 yr old son with me. He loved DP, thought they were awesome.

Did I detect a slight bit of ribbing going on back and forth between Big Ian and Nugent? During one of his songs, (something about a buffalo?) Ted started playing to the tune of "Jesus Christ Superstar." Sounded like he started singin', "Buffalo superstar, who the hell do you think you are?" Sang it several times. Then during DP's first or second number Ian put on one of those fake wire thru the head arrows. :) Ted had whipped out his bow and arrow and shot a target on his amps at the end of his set.

Ted had one of the best lines of the night directed at the LS fans: "Yeah the South may do it again, but not if all you motherfuckers are drunk." :)))

Purple's encore of "Hush" and "Highway Star" was great...the crowd really loved it.

I think DP should've been the headliners, but LS do really have the fans...(in Ohio anyway). The place really filled up for them.

Deep Purple kicked ass!!! I loved it. Wish they could've played longer...maybe next time.

Andy Sevenfornine

[ reviews | the highway star ]