[ d e e p P u r . p l e ) The Highway Star

Master journeymen of their instruments

After blistering sets by die hard Cheap Trick and always rockin' Ted Nugent, Deep Purple took the stage and had their way. From the opening of "Woman From Tokyo", to the second encore number ("Highway Star"), Deep Purple showed why they are a permanent link to the beginnings of "Heavy Metal Music". Each member a master journeyman of his instrument, and each has his turn on tastefully showing it off. The addition of Steve Morse shows the care Purple took to replace the super ego, but masterful Blackmore, whose presence is still felt in his now infamous guitar licks immortalized here!

The set was close to the lists provided here, but rocked with new intensity. And though they didn't play everything I would have liked, they hit most of the high spots, and some surprises. Perhaps Morse's new blood is responsible? Or Ian Gillan's showmanship and leadership carrying on! I've been listening to these guys since they came out in 1968. The heavy blues flavored organ, with heavy riffed guitar, over a solid rhythm section, with a great screaming vocalist cutting through to the quick, insures Deep Purple Rock & Roll Hall of Fame status. I'm sure the South Texas Jam gave this added excitement, but Skynyrd was a let down from this, and a longer set without the fluff would have been preferred by me. Rock on Lads!

Alan York

[ reviews | the highway star ]