[ d e e p P u r . p l e ) The Highway Star

Awesome show!

This was the second Deep Purple show I've been to. The first was in '98 on the A.band.on. Tour and even though they headlined, this show was just as great and they blew everybody away, as usual. The set looked something like this:

"Woman From Tokyo"
"Ted The Electrician"
"Lazy"
"Fools"
"Knocking At Your Back Door"
"Perfect Strangers"
"When A Blind Man Cries"
"Pictures Of Home"
"Smoke On The Water"

Encore:
"Hush"
"Highway Star"

The show started off strong and was strong all the way through. The version of "Fools" they did was unbelievable and really stood out that evening. Then, when they went into "Knocking At Your Back Door," I couldn't believe it. I love surprises.

When they got to "Smoke On The Water," the whole crowd was on their feet despite the fact that most of the people there had little respect for anything but a confederate flag. "Hush" and "Highway Star" got a huge response as well and got everybody singing along. Ian Gillan's singing was amazing with plenty of high notes, especially for a shorter set. Steve Morse was amazing to watch as usual. Recently, I've been mostly playing classical guitar, but watching Mr. Morse was so inspiring that I decided to pick up the electric again the next day. He is the most versatile guitarist I've ever seen and his style gives me goosebumps every time I listen to him play. The same goes for Jon Lord, the most amazing keyboard player. I just wish he would've played longer and had more solos. You can never get enough of that. As usual, Glover and Paice's rhythm section can't be any better or tighter. All the songs were incredible and showed what a true, professional rock band Deep Purple is. I just wish they headlined and played longer. I recommend to anybody and everybody to go see Deep Purple whenever you can. They are the best!

Leon Muhudin

[ reviews | the highway star ]