[ d e e p P u r . p l e ) The Highway Star

Way too damned short, but awesome

Last nights show in Tinley Park, Illinois was without a doubt awesome. Way too damned short, but awesome. Whoever came up with idea of having Lynyrd Skynyrd headline this triumvirate of rockers was smoking some bad weed. Not to knock Skynyrd, but Purple they ain't.

The setlist was (and I may be little off on the order): "Woman From Tokyo", "Ted The Mechanic", "Lazy", "Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming", "Fools", "When A Blind Man Cries", "Perfect Strangers", "Hey Cisco", "Smoke On The Water" and "Highway Star" as the encore. Unfortunately there was no guitar, keyboard or drum solo.

Gillan's voice was in top form last night. It would appear that since he stopped dying his hair trying to look 20 years younger he now sounds 20 years younger. Too cool. Hopefully DP will be touring the US solo in the not too distant future. Ah well, looking forward to the 22nd when they play in Burgettstown, PA. Happily the tour coincides with my annual trip back home to Pittsburgh.

Last night was my 10-year-old daughter's second time to see DP. First time was in 1999 at Tinley Park. The kid amazed me and several others around us with her knowledge of every lyric to the songs Purple played. Her "Smoke On The Water" boogie was a definite hit. Another generation of Purple fans has been born!! Rock On!!

YEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOWWWW!

Joe Skinnell

[ reviews | the highway star ]