[ d e e p P u r . p l e ) The Highway Star

Review of the Bangalore DP Concert

Eeeaaaaaooooouuuuuuuuuu. That is a true benchmark of Deep Purple (Gillan's not complaining, I'm sure).

Oh boy!!! What a concert that was. On a very warm summer night, this band that I have worshipped since my rock initiation years gave us such an exhilarating performance. It will be a day to be cherished for life, mainly because it was Deep Purple and also the fact that we finally had a top international rock band performing in Bangalore, long overdue.

I guess I'm still not over the hangover effect of the concert even after 24 hours. Aches & pains, neck to toe, are a small price to pay for the unbelievable followers of Deep Purple who were witness to a grand musical. I'm sure Deep Purple would appreciate not just the huge turnout at the concert, but the awareness of the various songs & albums of theirs. The point that I want to make is that I don't think international rock and metal bands of today & yesteryears realize that their form of music is so immensely popular in Bangalore & few other cities in India. I'm certain, now that Deep Purple has ignited the spark, we should have them coming back later with a whole lot of others. You know what? We could hope for a repeat of Woodstock in Bangalore (I guess that's asking for too much).

But you guys were enthralling & true to expectations even though some of their other great numbers were not forthcoming like "Child In Time", "Space Truckin'", "Burn", "Soldier Of Fortune" and "Stormbringer". And the reason to that I read from a response to one of the reviews on the show that the vocals of David Coverdale were not being replicated. I was also hoping for the performance of "The Mule" by Ian Paice, but nevertheless we were entertained to a great solo as part of the extended "Speed King" and not to mention Jon who was the Lord of the keyboard as only he knows best.

Anyways, some day we all hope to see a fully united Deep Purple, even though Steve Morse did not let us feel the absence of Ritchie Blackmore, one bit. He had us all mesmerized.

Deep Purple take a bow. We are counting days for the your next concert in Bangalore. Until then............

Bill Sachindran

[ reviews | the highway star ]