[ d e e p P u r . p l e ) The Highway Star

"Superbly"

As a 41yr old who's been listening to Deep Purple since the early 70's going to the concert last night is something I will be telling my grand children about. This is only the second time I've seen the band play, being fortunate to see them in Sydney in '99.

The smaller venue at W'gong was excellent and from my seat on the floor I had a great view of the band in action. Also as an old fart (a title I wear with pride) I can highly recommend the use of ear-plugs. It cuts down the sound so you can hear the clarity of the music.

From the out-set the concert was enjoyable. The songs ranged across their vast play-list. "Ted The Mechanic", "Mary Long", "Hey Cisco", "Black Night" (of course), and I'm sure I heard part of "The Wind Cries Mary" by Hendrix in the solo Steve does before "Smoke On The Water".

BUT the absolute high points for me were "When A Blind Man Cries" and "No One Came". Both these songs still make the hair on the back of my neck stand up and they were played, to quote Ian, "Superbly".

The guys looked like they were really enjoying themselves and the back-up singers and brass section certainly rounds off the sound and helps support Ian's voice. I can tell you I left the concert a happy, happy man.

[ reviews | the highway star ]