[ d e e p P u r . p l e ) The Highway Star

Deep Purple show in Montreux...

I've just read the reviews concerning the fantastic Deep Purple show in Montreux (I know, I'm every late!) and everybody was wondering who was the young man playing the guitar with them during two songs.

Well, its name is Nawfel (and not Narud), he lives in France and he made his first and for the moment only record in 1999 when he was just 13 years old. The record is simply called "Nawfel" (label: Polydor) and he was mainly playing wonderful covers on it (from J. Hendrix to A. Franklin).

It was amazing to see him with Deep Purple in Montreux and it was touching to see how shy he was while performing with the band. This must have been an extraordinary and unforgettable experience for Nawfel and I wonder how Deep Purple have heard about him?

I had the opportunity to see Nawfel in one of his own concert in Megève a few weeks ago and during a small medley where he did a couple of riffs of some very famous rock tunes, guess what he played too? A few bars from a certain song called "Black Night".

Sandra Celant

[ reviews | the highway star ]