[ d e e p P u r . p l e ) The Highway Star

Berlin Concert on October 9th

Hi, my name is Joachim Bell. I saw a really breathtaking concert of Deep Purple together with the Romanian Philharmonic Orchestra in Berlin on October 9th. It was a gorgeous experience for me, because I first heard "The Concerto For Group And Orchestra" when I was about 12 years old. Now I'm 42 and the mixture of classical and rock is still as fresh and impressive as it was more than 30 years ago. A lot of rock bands have now played with philharmonic orchestras, but none of them has ever brought up anything comparable to Jon Lord's "Concerto", "The Gemini Suite", "Windows" or "Sarabande".

It was a great night for me and a really moving moment when, after the third movement, I saw, for the first time, an audience give a standing ovation to a rock band - and of course the orchestra. (Okay, so in a normal rock concert it's usually not possible due to lack of chairs....) Anyway, I'm looking forward to more surprises from Deep Purple - and especially Jon Lord - over the next thirty years! All the best to the band and all those who have taken part in its long history.

Joachim Bell

[ reviews | the highway star ]