[ d e e p P u r . p l e ) The Highway Star

Tour Review: Deep Purple World Tour 2000 in Kleinen Scheidegg, Switzerland, April 15th, 2000

This concert was held at the open air stage at Kleinen Scheidegg on the mountain of Jungfrau in central Switzerland. I was in Europe on a business trip and was able to drive eight hours from Vienna to see the show. Snow was falling heavily through out the entire daylight concert.

The band was superb as usual - these guys are amazing. Their song list was shorter than normal, about ten songs, probably due to the cold temperature. Steve was in obvious discomfort at times with cold fingers, however his sound was excellent just the same. Ian kept jumping down into the snow and having a fun time.

I was fortunate to have snuck my video camera into the show, and managed to record the first five songs uninterupted before giving my arms a rest. I did manage to record most of the show before some security guy came up to me an made me turn it off at the start of the encore (Lazy and Highway Star). I was very close to the stage, and at one point Ian was taking his own videos of the crowd and now has a video of me taking a video of him.

It was good to see a lot of young faces in the crowd as well as older fans like me. I am looking forward to their next tour in the States so I can take my own kids.

Jim Wells
Michigan, USA

[ reviews | the highway star ]