[ d e e p P u r . p l e ) The Highway Star

Moscow, Russia - April, 9, 2000

Saw Deep Purple live over here in Moscow tonight - all I can say is a big WOW!!! I've seen the guys perform three times since the 1996 Purpendicular tour, and I gotta admit that they keep getting better! Steve Morse really fits the band - his duets with Jon Lord are truly amazing - real tight and all perfectly clear! I gotta even say that Steve fits the modern Deep Purple style much much more than Ritchie would've....

Even the good old "Smoke On The Water" sounds much brighter and deeper (I mean the sound) with Steve doing the guitars! Seeing them with this line-up is a double treat to me, because not only are DP one of my all time faves, Steve is definitely at the top of my all time fave guitar players list...

The highlights of the night were probably the three songs off Abandon; "'69," "Any Fule Kno That" and "Watching The Sky"...and another one of my faves: "Fools" which I didn't really expect them to perform live...

Another very pleasant surprise was when Roger Glover stepped into the spotlight - of all the previous shows, or the videos I've seen I have never seen him do a solo, and tonight he did!!! He's not Stu Hamm, but he doesn't have to be - he does what he does, and probably better than anyone else could...he's a great rock bassist!

One more funny thing was when they did a cover of Elvis Presley's "Blue Suede Shoes!" :-)))

The amazing sound just added to the overall great performance, it's a shame a didn't get to record the show, however I'll try to put my hands on a recording of this 2hour+ set - so if you want one, just let me know, and maybe we'll be able to arrange something....

Wow!!! Never expected to see something as great here in Russia!!!

Peter Tatischev

[ reviews | the highway star ]